Summary of Video Content: This is a short introduction to Non-Water Sanitation India by Kevin Kuhn and Thomas Jakel. In this video you will learn about:
a. The vision of the organization b. Our current activities in India, Germany and South America c. Our aim for India and fields of activity for Indian staff - building relationsships and trust with rural communities - awareness raising and training - getting people engaged and signed up - project management - contacting, closing and managing investors and sponsors - building partnerships d. Goal for 2015: Supplying 10 to 15 villages with UDDT's - a total number of 350 to 500 households e. How the organization got set up f. Briefing about the team members and their role in the organization g. What you can expect from us and what we expect from you c. Communication: Tools and routines (weekly call and working with Asana)
After this introduction, please proceed to watch the other introductionary material, before moving on to the training material in module 2.
The darewadi project.
This is the movie about how we got started in 2012. It is supposed to be inspirational, fun and get you introduced to the topic of sanitation.
darewadi sanitation project review.
This is a short 2014 documentation of the Darewadi project after 35 UDDT's have been built in the village. You will learn about the effect the improvements in sanitation had on the villagers and the project setup.
basic literature to get you started (mandatory reading)
All the literature is available for download from a dropbox at this link:
Basic Literature to understand Indian sanitation problems:
1) SQUAT Report - This survey has been done for North India but is also valid for Maharashtra. It applies to use greatly, because it reveals why OD in rural India is so high.
2) Jenkins, Sarah - Here is also an emphasize on reasons for OD in India
3) Statistics about Sanitation from census 2011 - Just to have some important data by hand
Sanitation in general
1) CLTS - Handbook - Although we won´t take the except approach, we´ll use many parts of it. This training or awareness-raising methods have been used widely all over the world. There also have been some critics on it, which can be seen in the report of Plan. Please make up your own mind about it and use this to develop a better approach for NWS.
2) Compendium of Sanitation - This is important to understand the different models of toilets and treatments of waste water.
3) ESF Manual - That can be seen as a standard manual on how to build the toilets we have in Darewadi. However, we will need to change the design, it is good to be packed with the knowledge of it.
1) SuSanA - This is the most important source of newest developments in EcoSan. The library, the case studies and the forum are great and are full of useful information. Please inform you regularly (30-60min) a week about new topics and movements. http://www.susana.org/en/resources/library
2) SSWM Tool Box - Nice tools on software skills needed for your work. Have a read in it once in a while and develop in what interests you most.